There are many types of lawn mowers out there but the only way to find what is best for you is to find out what do you really need before buying one.
So before purchasing you need to do some research and that is where I come in. I will show you the different types of lawn mower as well as give you some pointers that will help you pick the best type of lawn mower for you.
So now that I have shown you the different types of lawn mower, you can now determine what the best type of lawn mower will suit you best. I hope this article will help you choose wisely.
Step 1. First is to consider what you really need
This means that how do you decide on how to mow your lawn. Would you want to ride comfortably or would you do more exercise by walking? According to Consumer Report, if you have a lawn that is bigger than half an acre, the best thing to go is a riding mower. But if you have a lot smaller lawn, just go for a more smaller non riding lawn mower, not unless you want to attract attention from neighbors. You may choose a man powered or a motor powered lawn mower; electric or petrol powered; corded or battery; push or propelled.
#2 Consider if you want to do Grass Clippings
There are many types of mowers that offers different features. So first, think if you want find a lawn mower that has a side discharge, if you want to bag the clippings, or if you want the tiny blades of grass to just be left on the ground.
#3 Yard Incline
Check what kind of terrain you have. If you have a sloppy terrain , a flat lawn or have a small hill. Just remember that the maximum angle you can cut safely is about 15 degree slope. However if you have a bigger slope, consider bigger, better mower for going up and down the hill.
Different Types of Lawn Mower
- Manual Reel Mowers
- Standard lawn mower among households for many years
- You need to push it for the cylinder to work
- Emits no pollution
- Low noise
- Low maintenance
- Cheapest among all other lawn mowers
- Downside is you need to put a lot of effort in manual work especially if the grass you need to cut is longer than 1 inch
- Another downside is that you can’t cut close to other objects like trees or flower beds so you need to use hand trimming in those areas
- Corded Electric Mowers
- This is for people who are concerned about the environment and the pollution that can emitted when using petrol powered mowers.
- Push button start
- Easy to maintain
- Lots of models to choose from
- No noise
- It also offers side discharge, bag or mulch options
- Downside of this is the cord that you need to always wrestle not to get in the way and avoid cutting it.
- Another downside is that if you have low power in your home, the mower will not work very efficiently cause it draws its power from your current
- Takes a lot of time to mow since they are designed to cut a narrower swath of grass
- Electric Battery Powered Mowers
- Cord free mower, battery operated
- Odorless and environment friendly
- Downside is it takes too long to recharge. Takes around a day
- Another downside is that it is lot heavier because of the battery and the housing making it really harder to push
- Gas Powered Mowers
- Good performance, powerful, durable and if properly maintained is very dependable
- Some models offer electric start that eliminates the rope yank for convenience
- Downside of this mower is that it is really noisy, so it is advisable to use ear plugs when mowing
- Another downside is that some debris might come flying so an eye protection is a might
- Gas powered lawn mower needs to be maintained a lot too that includes regular sharpening, change oil, cleaning its filters and replace its spark plug.
- Self Propelled Gas Mower
- This is a very handy mower since you don’t have to exert too much effort in pushing. Like what its name said it pulls itself along the yard when mowing.
- This is of course a little more expensive than the walking type of mower or manual reel mower.
About the Author
Michelle Peters, article writer and blogger for various garden and homes sites. Lives in Pennsylvania and mother of 2 kids.